Pink Eye Treatment in Chicago
As your trusted optometrist in Chicago, we are dedicated to providing safe and effective treatment options for the most common eye health conditions. With the help of routine eye health and vision exams, we are better able to catch certain conditions early on and provide fast treatment options that will have you looking and feeling your best in no time at all. For pink eye treatment in Chicago, there is no better source than Eye Society.
What is Pink Eye?
Conjunctivitis, also commonly referred to as pink eye, is defined as the inflammation of the thin, clear covering of the white of the eye and/or the inside of the eyelids. While the inside of the eyelid is transparent, it does contain blood vessels that cover the sclera of the eye itself. Therefore, anything that triggers inflammation in the eye will eventually cause the blood vessels to become dilated and result in red, bloodshot eyes.
What Causes Pink Eye?
There are a few different primary causes of pink eye, including:
- Bacterial conjunctivitis – This type of pink eye is caused by bacteria in the eye. If left untreated it can cause serious damage.
- Viral conjunctivitis – Similar to the common cold, this type of pink eye infection is caused by a virus and is highly contagious. While it will usually clear up on its own after several days, a visit to our offices may be needed if the infection persists.
- Allergic conjunctivitis – Commonly caused by eye irritants like pollen, animal dander and dust, this type of pink eye may be seasonal or flare up year-round in more severe cases.
Common Symptoms of Pink Eye
While the primary symptom of conjunctivitis is red or pink eyes, other common symptoms may include:
- Watery, itchy or burning eyes
- Sensitivity to light
- Sticky yellow or greenish discharge (can cause eyelids to stick together after sleep)
- Stuffiness and/or a runny nose
Safe and Effective Pink Eye Treatment in Chicago
Depending on the type of pink eye infection you are experiencing, we can offer different treatment methods to protect your long-term eye health and provide relief. If you are experiencing a viral infection, professional treatment is rarely needed. We may recommend applying a cold, wet washcloth several times a day to soothe the eye.
For cases of bacterial infection, we will likely prescribe antibiotic eye drops or ointments to help clear the infection and soothe any pain. Allergy medications are often effective in preventing or shortening the symptoms associated with allergic conjunctivitis and in many cases can be found over-the-counter. However, if necessary a prescription strength medication may be prescribed.
Schedule an Appointment Today for Pink Eye Treatment
Interested in learning more about the benefits of preventative eye health care? With 2 convenient locations in Streeterville and the Loop, we are proud to be your choice optometrist in the greater Chicago area. Contact (312) 640-2405 in Streeterville or (312) 631-3247 for our Loop office and schedule your initial consultation today.